How to Scan From HP Printer
Most HP Printers also have the ability to scan documents such as documents, memos, letters, and pictures onto your computer for storage or to share with others.
However, before you can scan anything from your HP printer, you will need to install the HP Solution Center Software onto your desktop first. Though scanning a document is relatively straight-forward in most cases, unfortunately, navigating the HP Solution Center can be slightly confusing.
But don’t worry – we’ve got you covered. Here are the steps to know about how to scan from HP printer to computer:
- Load the CD in your computer and install it according to the onscreen instructions. If the software is already installed, double-click on the shortcut to open the program.
- Note: If you do not have the CD that came with your printer, you can download the HP Solution Center software from HP.com.
- Next, lift the hood of the scanner and place the document you want to scan face-down onto the glass scanner.
- Note: There will be arrows on the edges indicating how to place the paper. Make sure the paper touches these edges along the arrow lines.
- Click “Scan Settings,” then “Scan Settings and Preferences” and then “Scan Document Settings” to access your scanner’s PDF option. Click the down arrow next to “Scan To:” and click “Save to file.” Click the down arrow next to “File type:” and click the desired output format.
- Some of the more advanced HP printers can automatically identify the type of document. If your printer does not do this, you will need to select with the document icon or image icon to manually set the document type.
- Next, select the “Scan Document” or the “Scan Picture” option depending on the document you are scanning.
- Also, depending on several factors such as the number of images, resolution of the document, etc, the printer may take several seconds or minutes to scan the entire document(s).
- Wait for the scanner to show “Scan Completed”. You will get a pop-up message on your screen to specify where you want to save the scanned document.
- Select “Save” and choose the location where you would like to save the document, then click OK.
This is typically how you scan from an HP printer. However, sometimes the printer software is outdated depending on the model you are using. In that case, you will have to update the software to scan the documents.
- Go to the Software and Driver Downloads page in HP Customer Support.
- Search for the printer model you are using and click on Download. Allow the entire file to download before you proceed.
- Double click the downloaded software executable and follow the instructions as they appear. It will be similar to the instructions you get when you load the printer CD for the first time.
- Once the software installs, search for the HP folder in your computer. It will have an “HP Printer Assistant” or “HP Solution Center”
- You will get the Scan tab here. Select photo or document as you did above and hit on Scan.
You can also set scan preferences according to your needs. There are options to save the scanned item as a JPEG, PDF, etc., and also select the resolution you would like to use for the document.
Scanning from an HP printer is as easy as it gets. After using the scan feature just a few times, you will be an expert! We hope the tips above have helped you and you were able to scan using your HP Printer.